Every now and then, it’s good to stop and think about the things that you never think about. The things that you take for granted. The things that you think you are entitled to. The blessings that God could take away from you right now if he wanted to. Here are some of those blessings that I have enjoyed, not just over the past few days but, as far as I can tell, pretty much every day of my life.
1. Whether through a letter in the mail, a face to face conversation, a phone call, or an e-mail, I can’t remember ever going a day without a friend or family member telling me that they love me.
2. I’ve never truly been hungry or gone without food. There were times when we had to put water over our cereal but the cereal was still there.
3. Unlike a lot of people, even American citizens, I’ve never been thrown in jail for something that I didn’t do.
4. I’ve never had to be fed through a tube or an IV.
5. I’ve never spent the night in the hospital as a patient. There have been plenty of nights that I’ve done that as a family member but never as a customer.
6. I’ve never had to worry about a rainstorm washing away my house.
All of this could change tomorrow. I could go without hearing the words I love you. I could starve. I could lose my freedom, health and home. As easy as it is to forget this, I don’t deserve those things. God doesn’t owe me.
But he has blessed me.
However his blessings come and go for us, there is at least one thing that we can count on.
God’s people will never know what it’s like to be ignored, abandoned or condemned by him.
Even on a Monday.
Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18 (ESV)